5 ways to express emotions healthily
Emotions cannot be avoided. Humans are capable of feeling a wide variety of emotions, such as fear, joy, sadness, happiness, and anger. Emotions are an inevitable aspect of existence. A meaningful and happy existence depends on being able to express emotions healthily. The ability to communicate your emotions healthily has several advantages.
Below are some examples:
● Greater life satisfaction
● Increased adjustment to stressors
● More psychological resilience
● Reduced anxiety
● Reduced stress
● Improved confidence
● Improved connection with others
Expressing your emotions is the fourth step in learning how to process your emotions. Before we can dive into ways to express your emotions, you need to know how to get to that step in the process.
Step One: Define your go-to distracting behaviors: Distracting behaviors are activities that you consciously or unconsciously take part in to avoid facing your feelings or emotions. These activities can include staying too busy to think, marathoning a streaming service, drugs, alcohol, or video games.
Step Two: Defining Your Emotions: Determine what emotions you are truly experiencing. How do they differ from each other? Does your body temperature change? Do you feel any other differences in your physical state? How would you describe your emotions to a friend or on paper? Why was this emotion triggered?
Step Three: What Are Your Emotions Telling You? Emotions give us a clue into what we need in that very moment and what we may need overall. Take a minute to step back and figure out what your emotions are trying to tell you. What behaviors, thoughts, or actions should you change?
Step Four: Express Your Emotions: Expressing emotions in a healthy way is the final step in your ability to fully process emotions. Not everyone expresses emotions in the same way.
Below are 5 healthy ways to express emotions.
- Do Something Physical: The first way to express your emotions is by doing something physical. This can include several activities: going for a hike, going to the gym, taking a swim, playing a sport, trying an exercise video, or joining an active club.
- Use Creativity: The second way to express your emotions is by tapping into your creativity. This can also include a wide range of activities: Try drawing or painting, writing in your journal or creating a short story, playing an instrument or singing, or trying photography. You could also try clay modeling, building collages, or making mandalas.
- Talk About Them: The third way to express your emotions is by taking them out. You can talk them over with your friend or family member. You can talk about them with a professional. You can also simply talk about them out loud to yourself, a pet, or a plant at home.
- Practice Mind-Body Connection: The fourth way to express your emotions is by practicing connecting your mind and body. Try yoga, deep breathing exercises, and meditation. You’ll maintain a strong mind-body connection and be able to express your emotions more freely overall if you learn to practice mindfulness and gratitude in your daily life.
- Try Something New: The fifth way to express your emotions is by trying something new. This could be cooking with a recipe you’ve never used before, signing up for a new activity or class, or exploring a new town.
You can live a successful and satisfying life by learning how to express your emotions in a healthy way. Healthy emotional expression includes being physically active, being creative, talking about your feelings, connecting your mind and body, and trying new things.